Olympia Real Estate
A “mill-village” established in 1899 around the Olympia Cotton Mill. Bounded by Heyward Street, Bluff Road, Granby Lane, and by the quarry, the village’s design incorporates a grid pattern and uniform lots with back alleys. The earliest development occurred along Olympia Avenue and spread south, down the long blocks of the numbered
streets. The numbered streets were renamed for states in the mid-twentieth century when the city of Columbia renamed some of its streets with numbers. The village was nearly built-out by 1920, but along Virginia Street (originally 10th Street), and along the cross streets of Whitney, Dover and Quarry, near their intersections with Virginia Street, the homes date exclusively from the late 1930s through the 1950s or 1960s. The mill is located on the north side of the village and supervisors’ homes were located further to the north on Whaley Street, now inside Columbia’s city limits. The Olympia School anchors the village’s southeastern corner.