Hollywood-Rose Hill Real Estate
The identities of the two neighborhoods of Hollywood and Rose Hill became intertwined shortly after they were built. Today it consists of residents located between Heyward Street and Rosewood Drive, with South Marion and South Harden serving as western and eastern boundaries respectively. Oral history interviews with early residents of the neighborhoods indicate that the “ hill south of Heyward Street” was a rural one of “cotton and cows.” Rosewood Drive was a shady dirt road through a shady tract in the first decades of the twentieth century. The creek still ran down present-day Waccamaw Ave., and beyond the creek was the Peake farm, complete with a cherry orchard that was a favorite stopping place for local children. Residents then remember that the only large trees were sycamore trees. Once the streets were laid out, Mr. Castles, an early resident on S. Edisto began to plant oak trees on each side of the street and others followed suit. The Rose Hill portion of the neighborhood was built shortly after the turn of the century and was serviced by a trolley line that ran up the Saluda Ave. median. In Hollywood, the houses tended to be larger than the bungalows of Rose Hill. Among them are some architect-designed houses, such as architect J. Carrol Johnson’s own house on the corner of Heyward and Southwood. Hollywood was laid out on land that Abraham Stork owned in 1895. The Stork family owned the Rose Hill Green Houses, established as early as 1903, and which by 1910 were located on the land now occupied by Saluda Apartments. The Stork family home was a large house that stood at 1716 Heyward. It was demolished in the mid-twentieth century. Hollywood was developed later than Rose Hill, apparently following on the success of Rose Hill and Wales Garden in about 1928. The street plan combined straight streets that intersected at right angles along with Southwood, which follows the contours of the land. The developers of this section allowed purchasers to buy as many 20-foot sections of frontage as they wanted, thus accounting for some of the differences in architecture between Hollywood and Rose Hill. The earliest dated plat of Rose Hill indicated that the boundaries of the area were: Tugaloo, South Gregg, Kiawah and Edisto. This 1919 plat indicates that 48 lots were laid out on the property of W.D. Melton. The streets ran perpendicular to Heyward and the rectangular lots measured from fifty to seventy feet on the street. Melton sold the first lot in Rose Hill in 1914. Sales were slow in the beginning, with transportation being the real issue. Once the electric street railway ran the Wales Garden line up the (now) median on Saluda Avenue to Heyward in 1915, Rose Hill had the necessary transportation link it needed to grow. Most growth took place from 1920 through 1927. Melton died sometime prior to 1928 and his executor (Netta Melton) continued to sell lots. After 1928, the Melton property between South Edisto and South Harden was sold as lots also. Though this portion of the neighborhood was not called Rose Hill originally, it has long since been considered part by its residents. Another undated plat showed land bounded by Heyward, South Gregg, Edisto and the Stork property. This tract stood adjacent to the electric railway that served Wales Garden. It was apparently property of the S.C. Baptist Hospital, but was later owned and developed by Hyatt Land and Investment Co. The lots in this section were laid out in 20-foot strips, with the exception of the southernmost lots bordering the Stork land, which were 26 3/10 feet wide. Rose Hill School (forerunner to A.C. Moore School) stood on the corner of S. Saluda and Rosewood Dr. from at least 1911 until sometime after 1926. It was a 2 story brick building with a wooden addition. Rose Hill Presbyterian Church was built in 1922 and became a center of activity for both neighborhoods.